A029 - Guidelines for Middle School Activities
Administrative Letter #29 Guidelines for Middle School Activities - Approved 3-2000; Updated 08-20-2013
DATE: Reviewed and Updated August 2013 – Richard Holmes
REGARDING: Guidelines for Middle School Activities
Guidelines for Middle School Activities
Policy – 4410 Middle School Guidelines
188.8.131.52. Ninth grade extra curricular activities will be under the umbrella of the Utah High School Activities Association.
184.108.40.206. Schools will be encouraged to cooperate and work with community activity programs that are offered for middle school aged students.
Intramural – Existing or carried on within the bounds of an institution, esp. a school (competition within a school).
Intermural – Carried on outside the bounds of an institution, esp. a District competition (competition outside of a school with limited boundaries).
When a Community Education or City Recreation program is sponsored at a middle school, the following guidelines must be considered:
- A Community Education or City Recreation program will sponsor all 7th and 8th grade activity programs.
- All 7th and 8th programs will be operated outside of the regular school day. The 7th and 8th grade students will not be school excused to participate in a community/city program.
- Middle schools will not provide paid coaches to organize and manage a community/city sponsored activity. The WCSD extra duty pay schedule is for high school programs sponsored by the UHSAA. If the community/city program provides a stipend for coaches or advisors, it will not use school funds to do so.
- The sign up process for community/city programs will not be under the direction of the school. Any fees, dues, or other payments associated with Community Education or City Recreation programs will not be accounted for at the schools. All payments for officials, uniforms, T-shirts, etc…will be managed by community/city personnel.
- Washington County School District will not provide transportation to off campus activities sponsored by community/city programs.
- School facilities can be used for community/city programs. Principals are encouraged to work with community/city personnel for scheduling events, however, school sponsored activities will receive first consideration. The principal must approve advanced scheduling of school facilities.
- Advisors or coaches associated with Community Education or City Recreation programs cannot leave school prior to their contract time and are not considered a member of the high school coaching for that activity.
- The WCSD middle school guidelines encourage intramural programs for all students. Intramural programs should operate independently of community/city sponsored programs.