3500 - Parent Administrative Grievance Procedure
Washington County School District (Approved 2-14-06)
The purpose of this grievance procedure is to provide a means by which parents may present for administrative resolution, unresolved questions, dissatisfactions, or disputes regarding interpretation or application of District Policies and procedures.
2.1. It is the Policy of the Washington County School District to provide a prompt, informal administrative resolution at the lowest possible level to insure an orderly means of resolving complaints.
2.2. The following actions are not "grievable" under this policy:
* Employee grievances must follow the procedures outlined in District Policy 1720.
* Complaints regarding alleged sexual harassment violations must be grieved following the procedures outlined in District Policy 1420.
* Alleged discrimination or other civil rights violations must be grieved following the procedures outlined in District Policy 1710.
3.1. A grievance must be filed within thirty (30) calendar days of the date the parent knew or should have known of the circumstances which occasioned the grievance.
3.2. Informal Procedure:
3.2.1. Step 1:If the complaint involves a teacher, the parent is encouraged to first discuss the concern with the teacher with the objective of resolving the matter. Proceedings shall be informal.
3.2.2. Step 2:
If the parent is uncomfortable in discussing the complaint with the teacher, if the matter was unresolved after meeting with the teacher, or if the complaint doesn't concern a teacher, the parent shall discuss the complaint with the school principal or his or her designee, with the objective of resolving the matter. Proceedings shall be informal and, to the extent possible, confidential.
3.2.3. Step 3:
If following the discussion with the principal the matter is not resolved, the parent must put in writing the unresolved grievance and appeal again to the principal within ten business days of the date of the discussion. After which, the principal shall make a response in writing within ten business days and then hold a conference with parent to attempt to resolve the matter.
3.3. Formal Procedure, If the grievance is not resolved during the informal procedure, the below-listed formal procedure shall be followed.
* If the concern involves a student of an elementary school, an appeal to the Assistant Superintendent for Elementary Education (or designee) shall be made in writing, within five business days after disposition under informal procedures.
* If the concern involves a student of a secondary school, an appeal to the Assistant Superintendent for Secondary Education (or designee) shall be made in writing, within five business days after disposition under informal procedures.
* A hearing by the either the Elementary or Secondary Assistant Superintendent (or designee) shall be held within ten business days after receiving the written appeal.
* The Assistant Superintendent (or designee) shall make a written decision on the grievance within ten business days after the hearing.
3.4. Miscellaneous Provisions:
3.4.1. The District administrative review process concludes with the written decision of formal findings, conclusions, and/or remedies obtained during the Formal Procedure, outlined in paragraph 3.2.
3.4.2. Confidentiality will be observed in accordance with the provisions set forth in the Utah Government Records Management Act UCA 63-2-101 et seq. and/or the Family Educational Privacy and Rights, CFR Title 34 Part 99.
3.4.3. Nothing contained herein shall be construed so as to limit in any way the ability of the District and parents or others to resolve any grievance, mutually and informally.
3.4.4. All grievable issues must attempt to be resolved pursuant to the administrative remedy stated in this policy before remedies at law are pursued by parents or patrons. No action may be brought in any court by a parent to enforce or contest any provision of any Board policy or administrative action unless the person contesting the act or omission has exhausted the administrative remedy provided in this Procedure.