A081 - Driver Education Program Guidelines
Administrative Letter #81 Driver Education Program Guidelines; Approved 12-2009; Updated 09-30-2015
DATE: Reviewed and Updated September 30, 2015
FROM: N. Craig Hammer
REGARDING: Driver Education Program Guidelines
Washington County School District
Driver Education Program Guidelines
Washington County School District School Board acts in accordance with the Standards and Procedures established by the Utah State Office of Education in administering Driver Education to students.
All classroom and behind-the-wheel student experiences in driver education shall take place under the supervision of teachers, or instructors who are certified and have met the qualifications prescribed by the State Board of Education.
WCSD Driver Education offers a Four-Phase Program:
(1) classroom instruction (27-30 hours)
(2) driving simulator (4 hours)
(3) on-street driving instruction (6 hours driving/6 hour observation)
(4) parental involvement with learner permit.
Approved hours for prep:
Class Instructor – 5 hours per class
Others-1 hour per month
Only Washington County School District registered students may be in the Washington County School District Driver Education program, drive district driver education vehicles, or use district simulators. Home school and private school students may be enrolled in a driver education class at their boundary school and pay the required $100 fee. Charter school students are not eligible for enrollment.
- Hours submitted must have been worked during pay-period (Saving hours not allowed) and must have been worked outside of the school contract day.
- A completed WCSD Mileage Log form must be submitted (each pay-period) to WCSD’s Executive Director of Secondary Schools.
- Building principals must approve instructor time cards.
- Fee Waivers for Driver’s Education will only be granted through a work project equivalent to the minimum hourly wage and up to the required $100 fee.
- Fee Waivers must be approved through the individual school’s finance office.
- Instructors do not accept payment.
- Driver Education fee must be paid in full to receive certificate of completion.
- After 10 hours of instruction the Driver’s Ed Fee is not refundable.
- Fee payments are applicable from one high school to another.
- Make-up time for students is at the discretion of the instructor. Additional hours beyond the thirty (30) per class are not approved.
- If a student fails the class another fee will be required to take the class again.
- Two or more students must always be in the driver education vehicle with an instructor.
- All students must be picked up and returned to appropriate school (no home pick-up or drop-off).
- Gas cards remains with vehicle.
- Vehicles are not to be used for personal transportation.
- Vehicles must be parked at the school when not used for Driver Education.
- Notify WCSD Transportation Department for service – 652-4721, ext 109 or 116.
END OF YEAR REPORT:
A completed Behind-the-Wheel Statistics report must be completed and submitted to Craig Hammer’s office the last week of May.
SUMMER CASE LOAD:
- No more than 160 hours per month.
- No more than 8 hours during any one driving session without prior approval by administrator.