A096 - Bus Driver Recruitment and Retention Program
Administrative Letter #96 Bus Driver Recruitment and Retention Program - Approved 11-03-2014; Updated 9-22-22; Updated 5-25-23
DATE: November 3, 2014 (Updated 5-25-23)
FROM: Lyle Cox, Human Resource Director
SUBJECT: Bus Driver Recruitment and Retention Program
Non- Benefited Bus Driver Recruitment and Retention Incentive Programs
Definitions for the purpose of implementing this program are:
- Benefited Driver: means a qualified bus driver who is eligible for enrollment in district health insurance benefits. Generally Benefited Drivers are also eligible for URS enrollment.
- Contract Year: means the school year beginning in August and concluding the following May.
- New Bus Driver: means a Bus Driver within their first year of employment who has not worked for the WCSD in the past 5 years.
- Non-Benefited Driver: means a qualified bus driver who will not be eligible for enrollment in district health insurance benefits during the next Contract Year, regardless of URS enrollment status.
- Substitute Driver: Are those individuals who are willing to drive for the District on a regular basis but who have not been assigned or are not willing to be assigned a “to or from route.” Substitute Drivers are not eligible for step increases; however, Substitute Drivers are eligible to participate in the Recruitment and Retention Bonus Incentive AND the Sign On and Referral Bonus Program.
- Qualified Hours: is defined as hours worked, driving students to and from school on regularly scheduled routes and/or activity trips. It does not include hours worked to participate in meetings, bus shuttling, trainings, driving instruction, etc.
- To or From Bus Driver Contracts: Drivers assigned to contracts that require driving a to or from route on a regular basis will be given an assigned contract under temporary status and will receive yearly pay step adjustments based on District Policy and Board Approval. To and From Bus Drivers are subject to leave limitations according to District Policy.
Retention Incentive Program:
- Eligibility: Non-Benefited Drivers and Substitute Drivers who are available to accept and drive Qualified Routes on an as needed daily basis will be eligible to receive the bonus at the end of the school year at the following rates:
- The District will pay a $500 bonus to all Non-Benefited Drivers and Substitute Drivers completing between 350 and 699 Qualified Hours of service during the Contract Year.
- The District will pay an additional $500 dollars to all Non-Benefited Drivers and Substitute Drivers completing a total of 700 or more Qualified Hours of service during the Contract Year, totaling $1,000.
- Bonuses are not vested.
- Drivers must be in good employment status at the end of the Contract Year in order to be eligible to receive a bonus regardless of the number of hours worked. Good employment status means an employee has not received notice of nonrenewal or termination, is scheduled to continue employment for the next Contract Year, and is fully qualified and licensed to drive a school bus.
- The incentive bonus will be paid in the July payroll deposit for eligible employees meeting the terms and conditions of this program.
- All bonuses are subject to regular payroll taxes.
- Benefited Drivers are not eligible for participation in this program.
Sign on and Referral Bonus Program
- Purpose: The Bus Driver Sign-On and Referral Bonus Program is used to:
- Provide a $300 sign-on bonus award to new Bus Drivers who obtain eligibility for a Retention Incentive Bonus.
- Provide a $200 referral bonus award to current WCSD employees who refer New Bus Drivers that obtain eligibility for a Retention Incentive Bonus within the first year of the New Bus Driver’s employment.
- All WCSD employees are eligible for the Referral Bonus Program.
- Only one WCSD employee may receive the referral bonus incentive per one New Bus Driver.
- Employees involved in the hiring decision for Bus Driver positions are not eligible to receive the referral bonus.
- Sign-On Bonus awards of $300 shall be paid to the New Bus Driver on the next regular scheduled pay date after he/she has worked a minimum of 350 Qualified Hours within one year of the date of employment.
- Referral Bonus awards of $200 shall be paid to the eligible WCSD employee who referred the New Bus Driver on the next regular scheduled pay date after the New Bus Driver has worked a minimum of 350 Qualified Hours within one year of the date of employment.
- All Bonuses are subject to regular payroll taxes.