A168 - Band Management
WCSD Band Management - Approved 9/11/23
Participating at public events adds greatly to the band and music programs. It is a positive motivator for music students to be able to share their talent and it is a good public relations gesture for the schools.
High schools will participate in a minimum of three parades. Middle schools will participate in a minimum of two parades. Examples might include:
- Homecoming of home school
- Utah Tech Homecoming
- Veterans Day Parade
- Community events approved by school administration
For invitations to march in parades, the following criteria should be met:
- No conflicts with prior school commitments.
- Does not interfere with events in which a considerable number or key members of the band cannot attend.
- Must have approval of the principal and band director.
- There must be at least two months advance notice.
- If participation creates a financial burden on the school or students, adequate compensation by the event sponsor should be provided to the school.
- Parades should be during the regular school year.
- Standard marching is expected, but with approval of the director and the principal, other modes of transportation during the parade may be used including on trailers, informal marching, etc.
- Where there is no full uniform available, a common T-shirt type band shirt to be purchased by the student which would be theirs personally at the end of the school year.